Friday, June 3, 2011

My Experience With Poetry

My experience with poetry starts off with my first memory, as a child, listening to my mom read me poems from a Robert Frost book. When I actually began to analyze poetry was in seventh grade, when I had Mrs. Schooler as my teacher. We started off simple, just by recognizing patterns in the poems. I believe without the help of Mrs. Schooler, I don't think I would be as prepared with the work you are giving us as I would be without her help. I also remember she taught us a lot of different styles of poetry, and we actually had to keep a poetry collection, with our different poems. I remember loving writing haikus, because I tend to write about nature when writing haikus. My other favorite style is free verse, because I love being able to have the freedom of writing whatever I like, however I can.
This has made a positive impact upon my life, because I feel like I am prepared more than some of the other students, due to the fact I feel like I have more knowledge with terminology and expertise with styles as well. When we get into writing our own personal collections, I have a feeling I will not only enjoy getting back to writing but also enjoy interpreting others writing as well. With Mrs. Schooler's advice and knowledge, I also feel if I go into an English demanding career, I will be more prepared than others who may be applying for the same job.
Right now, I feel like I don't appreciate poetry as much as I could, due to the fact that I have not written, much less read any for more than a year, excluding earlier this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment