Friday, October 29, 2010

Diction: My Worlds

Last night I was enthralled, buried in a novel I have almost completed, when I heard a yell, a cry, and scrambling footsteps pounding on the stairs. As I pulled myself away from the pages below  me and to the outside world around me, I was suddenly aware something had gone awry from the daily business occurring in my household. I quickly tread into my parents bathroom to find my little sister, rocking to and fro on the bathtub bench. When I went over to examine what the matter was, she stuck a single finger out, which was emitting a steady flow of scarlet blood. I rushed to grab some tissue, and was hence absorbed yet again, in another world. This one, concerning the safety of my sister. I was in action, making sure she was not about to fall into a sea of darkness, and that each of my parents knew the condition she was in. As everyone raced around, busying themselves with other tasks, I found myself pondering what she would want. A snack? Her Pooh Bear? A refreshing glass of water? When I went to see what exactly she may have been craving it occurred to me that she may just prefer seek comfort. So I sat beside her and in the kindest and most nurturing way, stroked her head and comforted her with words of great sentimental value.
After all of the hullabaloo was over, I peacefully made my hike back up the stairs into the clouds of my imagination and own sanctuary. I fell back into a restful daze, which then lead me back to novel. I was at peace in a whole new world, away from everything-the stress, the sadness, and yet, the happiness as well-and I sank deeper and deeper into the pages of my book. This new world(which I came to discover) was filled with only one thing-homework. But I was happy about it, being able to accomplish everything in time, with no nonsense, all immaturity gone, and thus, I was able to accomplish so much, in so little time.

1 comment:

  1. Meghann! Wonderful job you pulled me in and had me intigued the whole time! And what a great sister you are! :)

    ReplyDelete