Sunday, April 17, 2011

Wrapping Up Great Expectations

The overall message I thought was never turn your back on the ones who love you. First of all, Pip's family (Mrs. Joe, Joe, and Biddy) were always there for him, even when it seemed the most like they weren't. Without them, Pip really would not have gained the 'knowledge' from them. Plus, he saw how their lives were, and wanted to make a better life for himself. Once he turned his back on them, Pip never really truly felt guilty about it until he realized that he had treated Joe terribly, but Joe still loved him with all of his sweet heart. Pip had to go through many things, to realize that once you lose your family, there's never really any chance that you will get them back. Luckily for him though, Joe and Biddy both welcomed him with open arms as well as naming their first born child after him! If Pip would not have had such a supporting and caring family, he never would've been able to get back to his feet after becoming sick as well as broke.
 How I connected the moral of the book to myself, I realized this: last year, I decided to skip out on a family birthday to go and hang out at my friend's house. After I came back home the next day, no one would talk to me. I went about for the next couple of days without anyone in my house addressing me, or even looking at me. I realized that I had completely messed up, that I had blown off something much bigger than a friend's birthday. Little did I know that that would have been my great-aunt's last birthday before she died last fall due to double breast, lung, and brain cancer. I really truly am grateful though, because after I apologized to my entire family as well as my great-aunt, they accepted my apology and realized that I seen my wrong-doing as something to never repeat. I, like Pip, have a loving and supportive family that I love very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment