Friday, March 4, 2011

Pip's Quote: Great Expectations

At Mrs. Havisham's Pip is publicly embarrassed of Joe's illiteracy and shyness.  He quotes about his feelings, "I am afraid I was ashamed of the dear fellow-I know I was ashamed of him..."  The quot eventually leads Pip into realizing that he does not want to be as ignorant as Joe.  He wants to accomplish great things during his life, besides the crueling accomplishment of being a blacksmith.  I noticed that within the first few chapters of the novel, Pip acts very immature. He is able to create thoughts and voice his opinions, but is still a child in that fact that he needs to be cared for.  At first, he, like many children, go along with line,'you are destined to lead the life you were left to lead'. Later though, he realizes that in order to accomplish his dreams, he is going to have to struggle and make an effort to fight for everything he wants. In recent chapters, he has matured greatly.  Pip has a moment where he realizes that one decision can alter his life forever.  

I remember going to down to my middle school in late August, only a week before high school started, and I remember thinking over my entire 8th grade year. I had had a terrible year, a huge fight with friends that leaded to us to not talking for almost a year. I also started thinking about how much it had made me grow up, and realize that I shouldn't be concerned with the social aspect of my life, but with the academic part. I will go places with academics, and then be able to appreciate the real social part of life. But without the struggle I had to deal with earlier in the year, I doubt that I would be the person I am today.


No comments:

Post a Comment